Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chosen but Free by Norman Geisler


Ever since I came to Liberty University, I have despised overhearing the habitual arguments and discussions over predestination and free will. I have always thought that these arguments we Christians had among ourselves prevented the body of Christ from actually doing what we were called to do; sometimes we spend too much time discussing faith instead of living it out. However, through recent discussions with fellow students, coworkers, and through reading this book, I have come to realize that this long time debate is in fact a pertinent issue in our daily Christian lives. In developing my own thoughts on the issue, I have considered that my views are fairly balanced, but I have never been able to articulate my views well. Giesler’s book has helped me to understand the two extremes and the moderate view, and it has helped me to support a biblically balanced view of God’s sovereignty and our free will.
Before Geisler explains the two extreme views of predestination and free will, he discusses the characteristics of God and the characteristics of sinful man. Scripture says that God is before all things, He is all-knowing, he created everything, and He controls all things. Everything God promised in the Old Testament was fulfilled in the New Testament. God’s sovereignty, or control, over everything cannot be disputed. Satan himself is under the will of the Almighty God. If God is omniscient, then nothing surprises Him because He knows what will happen in the future. He knows the decisions we will make before we make them. It is hard for finite humans to comprehend an infinite God, but by understanding God’s sovereignty, we can maintain a proper view of God. Geisler then goes on to talk about the sin nature in every human. He concludes that the all humanity is fallen and we are responsible for our own sin. Scripture makes it clear that no sinful person seeks God (Rom 3:11), and we cannot work to earn our salvation. God’s grace is the only thing that can save us. We must remember, however, that God created man in his likeness meaning that He gave us  a free will just as He has His own free will. Man has the choice between good and evil; between obedience and disobedience. One statement I liked from Geilser occurred when he stated that God did not create us and then force us to love Him, because a forced love is no love at all.
I agree with much of what Geilser said about both views and how the two extremes are unbiblical. Those who take an extreme free will view are in danger of ignoring God’s omniscience, power, and ultimate control. On the other hand, those who take an extreme sovereignty view can ignore the process of salvation in accepting God’s free gift of salvation. Geisler attempts to reconcile these two extreme views and insists that God’s sovereignty and man’s free will are both biblically sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment